Monday, February 28, 2005

The Making Of A 9/11 Republican Here's an interesting piece in the San Francisco Chronicle from a former Marin County lefty on how she was driven to the right after 9/11, unlike many of her former fellow-travelers who instead saw Amerikkka getting what it deserved.

Indeed, liberals had become strangely conservative in their fierce attachment to the status quo. In contrast, the much-maligned neoconservatives (among whose ranks I count myself) and Bush had become the "radicals," bringing freedom and democracy to the despotic Middle East. Is it any wonder that in such a topsy-turvy world, I found myself in agreement with those I'd formerly denounced?

The war on terrorism is nothing more than the great struggle of our time, and, like the earlier ones against fascism and totalitarianism, we ignore it at our peril. Whether or not one accepts that we are engaged in a war, our enemies have declared it so. It took the horrors of 9/11 to awaken me to this reality, but for others, such lessons remain unlearned. For me, it was self-evident that in Islamic terrorism, America had found a nihilistic threat that sought to wipe out not only Western civilization but also civilization itself.

The Islamists have been clear all along about their plans to form an Islamic caliphate and inhabit the entire world with burqas, stonings, amputations, honor killings and a lack of religious and political freedom. Whether or not to oppose such a movement should have been a no-brainer, especially for self-proclaimed "progressives." Instead, they have extended their misguided sympathies to tyrants and terrorists.


I too wonder why I started out an obnoxious lefty (suppose attending Kent State had anything to do with it?) but wound up where I am today. It certainly had nothing to do with my parents. Mom is way off on the left politically but I don't really think she could explain why, other than having a vague need to "help people." I don't ever remember having a political discussion with my dad. So I really can't blame anyone but myself for my beliefs (with the possible exception of Pat Feeney and Atlas Shrugged).

I guess that is where it started. Sitting at the bar after work at the restaurant and arguing politics and having to defend my beliefs, such as they were. I found I couldn't defend them any more. What I once believed no longer made sense to me anymore. I once thought the world was a pretty black and white place. I know that isn't the case, but I at least know who is wearing the white and who is wearing the black. So to speak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home