Friday, March 05, 2004

Andrew Sullivan on how American is splitting into two different countries. He points to gay marriage and The Passion and the two different reactions to them to illustrate the point. The Right sees gay marriage as such a threat it must be stopped at all costs, even to the point of amending the Constitution to stop it. The same people (for the most part) think The Passion is the most important film ever made and that somehow life as we know it has changed because of it.

Then there are people like me. I don't understand the fear of gay marriage at all. I cannot for the life of me figure out how my marriage of nearly 20 years will be somehow diminished if two gay men or lesbians want to legally formalize their relationship with a publicly recognized ceremony. My next door neighbor's standard marriage has no effect on mine, so how could a gay marriage?

I also have no interest in seeing The Passion. From the reviews and articles about it that I've read it sounds so over the top violent that I decided that it is something I wouldn't want to see. Maybe if I were religious and Christ meant something to me I'd feel different, but I'm not and he doesn't. I simply can't understand how I am responsible for the crucifixion of someone who lived 2,000 years ago, regardless of whether he is the Son of God, or not. That theology is something I left behind years ago.

So despite agreeing with most every other aspect of the Republican position (though I also seem to be a bit more supportive of environmental issues) here is where I leave the party behind. I've heard terms like "South Park Republicans" for social liberals/fiscal conservatives. Maybe we should form our own party and let the Christians have theirs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home