Friday, January 30, 2004

This is why I have a hard time reading Reason. I agree with most of what he says here, but the last four words I find amazing.

The commentator Andrew Sullivan, another supporter of the war who still believes it was justified, nevertheless admits that, given how the U.S. exaggerated the WMD threat, "I can't see how a single ally will support us in future similar circumstances...And I think a large swathe of American public opinion will be more skeptical than ever." I hope he's right.

I hope he's right? I understand that many libertarians opposed the war for their usual reasons (gives too much power to government, and creates situations that increase government intrusion in everyday life, i.e. the Patriot Act) but to hope that allies and citizens lose faith in the United States and refuse to support it in the future strikes me as taking an argument to extremes.

In another part of the article he says this:

Kenneth Pollack, the former National Security Council official who wrote The Threatening Storm: The Case for Invading Iraq, concedes in the January/February issue of The Atlantic Monthly that "in all probability Iraq was considerably further from having a nuclear weapon than the five to seven years" estimated by intelligence analysts. He accuses the Bush administration of distorting the already exaggerated estimates of the nuclear threat, "the real linchpin" of its case for invading Iraq.

Excuse me? Kenneth Pollack is upset that the Bush administration distorted the intelligence as part of "its case for invading Iraq." Kenneth Pollack literally wrote the book on why Iraq needed to be invaded. I read The Threatening Storm, and it was said to be on the night stand of every policy maker in Washington before the war.

I had some reservations back then, and really couldn't see how we could justify invading absent an Iraqi link to 9/11 or something. I read Pollack's book and was convinced that it had to happen regardless, primarily because of the argument he made regarding Saddam's nuke program. Now he seems to be saying "Well, they shouldn't have listened to me."

Hey Kenny, you were the hotshot CIA analyst playing off your reputation for having been the only one to predict Saddam's invasion of Kuwait in 1990. Why shouldn't we have believed what you were saying? You had an up-close look at the intelligence. We just followed your lead. Thanks a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home